Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Some Suggestions For Our New Listeners - Part 1

Last week on the Lovers, I acknowledged several WEVL programs that I thought our new webcasting listeners might enjoy checking out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to mention as many shows as I had hoped before the show ran out of time. So I wrote up a list of 10 programs that I have been listening to lately on WEVL. In no order, here are 5 out of those 10:

1) UK-JA Reggae (Thursday 1-2pm) - I never thought I could get into a reggae show, but Bowman has opened my eyes. Don't expect to hear Bob Marley here, but a healthy dose of ska, dub, and underground reggae. Sometimes he even plays The Clash or Gorillaz. My only complaint is that it's only an hour long.

2) Hi Fidelity (Wednesday Midnight-2am) - Indie pop galore! Doug's show is what I listen to when I prepare for the Lovers. Along with the latest releases, there is a pretty good chance you'll hear some of Doug's favorites including Guided By Voices, Superchunk, Built To Spill, Mathew Sweet, and, of course, Elvis Costello. Also, expect to hear some Memphis locals thrown into the mix. Typically, I relisten when it's repeated on Mondays from 2-4pm.

3) Flow Radio (Monday 6-8pm) - Ok, so I haven't heard of nearly any of the artists that Mary Jane profiles each week. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy her truly eclectic taste. She'll even honor a request for This Mortal Coil.

4) Varied Music (Tuesday 4-6pm) - Judy (Station Manager) and Brian (Program Director) are usually responsible for the music during these hours and the result is equivalent to that of a really great mix tape.

5) Back to the Country (Tuesday 8-11am) - I'll be honest, I don't own a lot of country music. But I do know good country music when I hear it. And Ken plays the heck out of it! For three hours, Ken goes through the various styles of "honky tonk, bluegrass, cowboy, and western swing". Each week also includes an album feature.

Check back tomorrow when the list continues...

2 comments:

MJ said...

Hi, this is Mary Jane. I am HONORED that my show (FlowRadio) is on Hayden's list! Thanks!!! I share his other recommendations. It's true. There are SO MANY awesome shows on WEVL. And it's great that we are webcasting again, and people all over the world can tune in to our eclectic madness! I'm happy because I got to listen to Hayden's show today because I could listen on the Web. I could never tune in before because I don't have a radio at work. Now I'll get to hear it every week.

Keep rockin' Hayden!!! :)

MJ

Doug Golonka said...

WOW! I'm glad you like the show Hayden..i'm speechless (typeless?) all i can only mimic Sally Field when she won her Oscar "people like me!! they really like me"