Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Cat Power - Last Night's Show

So you're asking yourself, did she break down? Curse the crowd? Run off the stage crying? Well, no. It was actually a very fine performance from Miss Cat Power herself, Chan Marshall. Moving back and forth between piano and guitar, Chan went through the set with one song bleeding into the next without allowing the audience the many chances to applaud. It should be noted that I didn't recognize most of the songs played throughout the night, but I can tell you that she did perform her new single "The Greatest," "Good Woman," an enjoyable cover of "Blue Moon," and a very fast version of "I Don't Blame You." Of course, there were moments when Chan became frustrated with herself during several false starts ("I can't remember how it goes") and her very little banter with the crowd ("Happy Halloween," "Thank you for coming. I hope you enjoyed yourself. Blah blah blah..."). It should also be noted that the crowd was a mixture of the quiet respectful type and very loud obnoxious folks ready for the Beer Bust to begin. That's a shame because Chan really deserved a setting that showcased her amazing talent. Still, I am very glad that I was there and would certainly check her out again if I had the chance. Now I do apologize for the poor quality of photos from the evening: there was only one dim key light on Chan until halfway through the show when she inisted that even that be turned off...


Chan Marshall hides in the shadows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos are exactly as I remember it. Good job. I have no idea what she was singing about, since I only recognized about 2 songs: her old greatest hit ("I Don't Blame You") and her new greatest hit (appropriately named "The Greatest"). But what a voice! The cigarette smoke level took me back to the Antenna Club circa 1985. (But what was going on with all the bottle-breaking at the bar during the show?) And let's not forget about opening act Dexter Romweber, who told us about his prostate and how he hadn't jacked off in 4 days.

Hayden Jackson said...

Thanks! Yeah, those bottles were crazy! It seems to happen every show but it's really recognizable during those quiet performances.