Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Lovers' Album of the Week


Holopaw Quit +/or Fight

While listening to Holopaw's new release Quit +/or Fight, I am reminded of the excitement I first felt after listening to the Fruit Bats' 2003 release, Mouthfuls. Perhaps Mouthfuls wasn't a revolutionary record (heck, who wants that responsibility?) but its strong hooks, beautiful harmonies, and overall good nature was a breath of fresh air, and as a result, the Fruit Bats were my driving buddies on more than one occasion. And while the Fruit Bats have a new one out, Spelled In Bones, that record hasn't evoked the same feelings that Quit +/or Fight is doing right now. I am almost embarrassed to mention that I wasn't even aware of Holopaw until their new release found its way into my WEVL mailbox, especially since they are on Sub Pop and have even released a previous album (in 2003, no less). Oh well, better late than never I suppose. So what's so great about Holopaw? Because truth be told, the Holopaw sound is one that has been emulated to death: the folk singer/songwriter who wants to rock out as well as dabble with his country heart. What makes Quit +/or Fight (and Mouthfuls for that matter) work is the sheer fidelity behind it. At no point do I believe I'm being force fed to feel a certain way. When it works, there is no reason for trickery. A large reason for this is John Orth's crushingly fragile voice that trembles long after the verse is over (a vocal style similar to that of Brad Bailey of the The Glass), especially on "Shiver Me," a song that is begging to be named the most beautiful song of the year. Of course, the fact that the rest of the band is able to create such tender, playful melodies doesn't hurt matters. I can imagine that there are numerous bands out there attempting an album like Quit +/or Fight, but unlike the vast majority of them, they will fail because Holopaw's record doesn't succeed because of talent, but because of honesty.

No comments: