Friday, May 13, 2005

The Lovers' Album of the Week


Headphones Headphones

David Bazan is one Christian artist that you won't be seeing on the CCM Awards any time soon. His band Pedro the Lion has always dealt with sensitive subject matter that would scare off the typical Christian music listener. Which is a shame because Bazan is one of the more interesting Christian artists out there (Sufjan Stevens notwithstanding, of course). His new side project, Headphones, will no doubt disturb the same conservative critics with its foul language, particularly the song "The S**t Talker" (hey, that's how iTunes spells it). I understand from a more liberal point of view this is no big deal. I only mention it because while Bazan may not win Christian of the Year, he is a deeply spiritual man who is not afraid to show his faults. And with the Headphones' sound being that of cheap keyboards and synthesizers (as oppose to the typical Pedro the Lion guitar rock), Bazan's confessions are really allowed to be the focus. Actually the Headphones sound is not their sound at all. Let me be blunt. David Bazan has been listening to a lot of Magnetic Fields. Really, it must be the only thing loaded on his iPod these days. Particularly Charm of the Highway Strip-era Magnetic Fields. I haven't heard such a blatant rip-off/homage of Stephin Merritt since the last time Jens Lekman stepped into a studio (Look at me! I just made an indie rock joke!). Okay, I know this is starting to sound rather negative and you might be asking yourself why this is even my album of the week, but stick with me here. What's so amazing about the Headphones new album is that despite a "borrowed" sound, the music appears fresh because the songs are so structurally strong. I would guess that these songs were all constructed the same way any Pedro the Lion song would have been only then recorded with different instruments (It should be noted that PTL drummer T.W. Walsh makes up the other half of the Headphones). From all my past albums of the week selections, the Headphones' album has gotten the most car play and I think that is because the songs are just so easy to get into and claim your own. Expect multiple plays from "Pink and Brown," "Major Cities," "Hot Girls," and "Natural Disaster". So if imitation really is the greatest form of flattery well than Bazan is all out of butter. Still, the result is what counts and I have another album to consider for my Top Albums of the Year list (and for the record, Jens Lekman can sure make a meaningful imitation too!)

No comments: