Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A Random Post - Most Memorable Shows of 2004

For some reason, I was thinking of all the shows that I had attended in 2004, particularly those that had left the biggest impressions on me. Here's a list (no specific order):

1. Bonnie Prince Billy - I never thought I would actually get to see Will Oldham but there he was in custom made overalls playing at Proud Larry's (!) in Oxford, MS.
2. My Morning Jacket - A storm cloud formed over the stage at Bonnaroo and finally broke during the ending song "Steam Engine." Worth the entire ticket alone! (Other memorable moments from Yo La Tengo, Grandaddy, and David Byrne)
3. Elvis Costello - I was actually on the guest list for this one after working with Mr. Costello on a video shoot for an upcoming DVD release.
4. Of Montreal - These guys are so fun to see perform. I say perform because the comedy skits between their songs are classic. And they always play two cover songs with each performance. The show at the Deli ended with Boston's "More Than A Feeling!"
5. Vic Chesnutt - Ok, so the small crowd wouldn't shut up during the show but the music was nice and the company was even nicer.
6. Morrissey - Another one that I never thought I would get the chance to see live. The show was amazing but ended short when the stage was raided by fellas wanting to touch and kiss the Mozz!
7. Snowglobe - The CD Release show was the best show I have ever seen from these local heroes. And I have it all captured on tape!
8. Reigning Sound - Every show from Cartwright and the Boys is amazing!
9. Harlan T. Bobo - (with Tim Prudhomme) Live at Shangri-La Records store with about 5 folks in attendance. I'm still not sure how they fit all their crap in that small little room in the back!
10. The Pixies - Okay, I didn't actually go to this show. But I did have tickets to it. Unfortunately, I had to work out of town. How sad...

(Other memorable shows include: Calexico, Wilco, Summer Hymns, Devendra Banhart, The Coach and Four, and Spoon)

No comments: